Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Think Globally, Eat Locally

Many thanks to Cindy over at Figs, Lavender and Cheese, whose writings about local organic produce got me interested in finding a local cooperative.  There are many great co-ops in the Philadelphia area, but most are too far away for it to make sense for me to patronize.  I do belong to Weaver's Way in Mt. Airy, but I can only shop there if I am at the office, which is only a couple of days a week. 

 

So, anyway, spurred by Cindy's culinary adventures, I found a local coop called Suburban Organics, that will deliver to me on a weekly basis.  I spoke with Shelly, one of the owners - who I might add is a blast to talk to - and set up my order.  Today, I received my first box!!

Picture 045

 

They recycle boxes - and they gave it ot me in a wine box (the Mondavi is hidden); think they know me already??????

I eagerly unpacked my box and spread out the contents for all to see:

Picture 049

Chard, zucchini, green beans, apples, pears, carrots, a pineapple (not local, but they got some from their distributor and they looked great) and a grapefruit.  Casanova was quite interested in watching me unpack

Picture 046

Ebony couldn't care less......Picture 050

 

Rachel is waiting for the chard...the fruit is mine...

Picture 044

 

Stay tuned as I experiment! 

No comments: