Tuesday, April 8, 2008

How Can It Be????

****Disclaimer:  This is not meant to be a criticism of anyone's faith or observances. What went on in my little dysfunctional corner of the world has made me a combination of the eternal spiritual wanderer - my family used to joke that I belonged to the Church of the Month Club - and supreme skeptic. I reserve the right to have a skewed view of things due to my 50's parents "mixed marriage" where talking about things was not allowed, but you sure as hell could tease the crap out of someone.******

 

Now, I'm not the world's most observant Jew.....okay, I'm technically not Jewish at all.. Dad was Jewish and I did go Hebrew school for a year or three, but never finished the conversion.  Then, I married a covert Baptist and we compromised on baptizing the kids Lutheran (my mother's faith and generally all around non offensive in any way to my skeptical point of view...I loved Garrison Keillor).  Over the years, I've tried to reintroduce some of the cultural aspects of my father's faith to my children, but, there were a few things that held firm:

1. Egg rolls on Christmas - even if they were the little LaChoy ones - we had to have them.

2. Easter movies  - well, that's what we called them. When I was a kid, I thought that Cecile B. DeMille wrote the bible - for real.

3. Passover - we did not prepare our home for Passover, but I am lucky enough to have family and friends who are observant and took enough pity on me to invite me to their seders.  My favorite snack was hors devours made with Tam Tams.

Now I hear that this will be the first year that there will be no Tam Tams.  Listen to this link from Bryant Park Project on NPR:

image

No Tam Tams!!!

For those of you unfamiliar with this little nugget of love, Tam Tams are six sided matzoh crackers that were just made to have a dollop of whitefish or chopped liver (or tuna salad for that matter) tossed on top.  My favorite is Everything Tam Tams with tuna salad.   There's a rabbi selling three boxes of Tam Tams on eBay (for charity).  There will be rampant Tam Tam hoarding - at least according to NPR.

No comments: