Thursday, January 24, 2008

Pork Chops and Malbec - lovely together...

It's been a full week and not always in a good way. My sister has been having dizzy spells for the last month or so - she got the results of the tests and not good. I'm not ready to share just yet - we need some more information. Between her, my mom's ongoing illness, kid and job stress, it's been nesting time for me. Tonight I needed comfort food. So I made pork chops with apple stuffing



The stuffing is chopped braeburn apples (or any apples on the tart side), onions, celery, sage, thyme, a clove of garlic and day old french bread cubed (about a 1/4 loaf). Saute the onions and celery until translucent, add the herbs and garlic. Saute for another two to three minutes; add stock if the mixture is becoming dry, then add the bread cubes. When everything is cooked and slightly softened, remove from heat. Stuff chops, then salt and pepper the chops. Sear in a cast iron frying pan on each side until well browned (about five minutes). Splash pan with Calvados, then finish in a 400 degree oven.

I served them with roasted cauliflower (tossed with olive oil, chopped garlic cloves, salt and pepper and roasted at 375 - shave some pecorino over it after it comes out of the oven) and saffron rice and peas. I had an open bottle of Malbec - I was afraid it would be a little too heavy, but it worked really well. Enjoy...it is truly comfort food.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Wow. That looks amazing! My husband would LOVE that!

Sorry you're dealing with so such tough stuff. Post about it when you're ready. And take care of yourself.