Saturday, January 17, 2009

When The Mundane is Beautiful

Today was mundane.  In a beautiful way.  Oil changes, buying a dish rack and a pan, going to the Asian market, and, laundry.  Today was my first day absolutely alone since before Christmas; I forgot my phone when I left in the house and I reveled in the fact that no one could reach me for a whole afternoon.   When I returned home I did talk to a couple of folks, but other than that, no contact.  I needed this day to be with myself.  I didn't listen to the radio,  I tuned out as much as I could.  The silence was nourishing - I felt my soul be restored by listening to my own rhythms, drifting to my own tune.

After my errands, I returned home and made dinner from the bounty purchased at the Asian market.  Of course my camera wasn't charged, so there aren't pictures to share.   They had wonderful mushrooms at the market, lemon grass and clementines.  I chopped up Chinese eggplant, green onion and garlic, grated fresh ginger, sliced shitake, crimini and enoki mushrooms, then cubed tofu, leftover pork tenderloin.  I made a stir-fry with soy sauce, mirin and a little fish sauce and red curry paste. 

Speaking of the pan, I have to spread the news.  I was walking through Macy's and meandered into the kitchen department (I love the kitchen department).  Macy's is discounting everything.  Now, I have a well stocked kitchen and do not need a thing, but I had been reading about the green pans and was interested in them. I looked at the clearance rack (which I love to do) and found a stack of Martha Stewart green pans. This isn't a Martha pan, but it looks similar:

image

Well, I have to say that I'm in love with this pan.  I did a whole stirfry with less than 2 T of canola and there was no sticking; in fact the pan looked clean - it just  did a great job.  I will definitely look forward to using this pan in the future!

2 comments:

Debie Napoleon said...

Sounds like a great all around day. I'm glad you got to relax and de-stress.

Jaina said...

Sounds like a fabulous day to me.